Tuesday 14 July 2015

Never work a day!


 
 It really all began when I was quite small and walked through the door of a grey building I had only ever seen  from the outside. The big adult behind the desk gave me a form to join the library. I ran home got my mother to sign the form and returned. I remember sitting on the floor in front of a shelf of books and feeling enthralled that I was actually 'allowed' to take one of these books and bring it home.
 You didn't have to pay either!. And you could get another book out the next time! I was sold.That sense of 'being acknowledged' by the big world and the empowerment that coursed through me that day has never left me. It was the start of a love affair with books and libraries that never went away.
Life took many twists and turns and a few different careers followed one another.
Then one day many years on, just as  happens in the land of make-believe,  the magic happened!  A job in the local library was advertised.I was at a juncture in my life and this was just the perfect fit for my current situation and my ongoing love of reading.
I contemplated doing the job for 'free' if I didn't succeed. I could think of no other nicer job ....ever!

I loved the interaction with borrowers and most of all I loved finding an answer to their query. The chase was never long enough or hard enough. I found I had to stop myself delving further and further. But that was the 'calling' - helping someone find answers to their inquiry/research question no matter how small,no matter how big or incomprehensible it was to me.

 These days I have little or no contact with borrowers but I do a lot of book buying and have a big involvement with reading groups and so 'the love'  for the job continues to be sustained!
 What do they say 'do what you love and you will never work a day'!                                                      

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hilda, thank you for signing up to Rudai 23! The Rudai team members have been assigned a group of participants each to comment on blog posts and help along the way. You're on my list. If you need help or have questions just ask. Looking forward to reading your posts. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete